|This page describes how to how install Semantic MediaWiki.|
|Image / Video collection|
|Installation type:|| |
"N/A" is not in the list of possible values (new, upgrade, update) for this property.
|Table of Contents|
The recommended way for installing Semantic MediaWiki is by using Composer but if you cannot use Composer for installation and upgrading, you have the option to install the file release as described on this help page.
Note: The instructions on this page to install and update Semantic MediaWiki do not apply to the Semantic Bundle which also uses Semantic MediaWiki. See the help page on the Semantic Bundle for how to do this.
- There is also a help page on how to install on a Windows-based server.
- Please always check the exact requirements and follow the instructions carefully. Make sure you understand the legal disclaimer in the file  before proceeding.
- To upgrade a wiki running an older version of SMW, be sure to read the relevant section before starting the upgrade.
- Note: If you are using MediaWiki 1.23 and higher and/or PHP 5.4 and higher you are strongly encouraged to install or to update to Semantic MediaWiki 2.0 or higher. Semantic MediaWiki 1.9 and lower is discouraged for productive use with these versions.
- Semantic MediaWiki has dependencies that will be made available during the installation.
- Individual extensions to Semantic MediaWiki, e.g. Semantic Result Formats may have different requirements.
- Individual extensions to Semantic MediaWiki may not be compatible with the
"~2.4"release (yet). Please see those extensions' documentation pages, or contact the respective developers, for further information.
- ConfirmEdit 1 extension(s) are known to cause limitations in the functioning of Semantic MediaWiki
- It is expected that the PHP mbstring extension is enabled (provides PHP mb_*() multibyte functions such as mb_strpos in the php_mbstring.dll). This is standard but not enabled by default on some distributions of PHP.
- When using a SPARQL backend, SMW and
onoi/http-requestrequires access to the cURL functions of PHP. These functions may have to be enabled/installed to be available.
- While not required (yet), it is suggested to have the PHP intl (ICU) extension enabled especially when Semantic MediaWiki is used in a UTF-8 (non-Latin) environment.
- For users that require symbolic links, some information can be found here.
- For installation and upgrade, SMW needs the rights to create new tables (
CREATE) and to alter tables (
ALTER TABLE). You can remove both rights after SMW is set up. The script "setupStore.php" can use the DB credentials from "LocalSettings.php" for this purpose, avoiding the need of extra rights for the wiki DB user.
- When using the SQL backend (the default data store for SMW), SMW creates and alters temporary tables for certain semantic queries. To do this, the wiki's database user account must have privileges for CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES and DROP. If you don't wish to allow such privileges, please read how to disable the use of temporary tables in "LocalSettings.php".
- It is highly recommended to have the parser cache and Semantic MediaWiki specific cache enabled and set to appropriate values.
- Information about regular maintenance tasks and the job queue can be found here.
Compatibility information and minimum requirements for Semantic MediaWiki are listed in the document on compatibility. Please make sure that you meet them prior to installing Semantic MediaWiki.
Please select the most appropriate installation instruction for your environment and for the latest available
"~2.4" release. More information about the
~ usage or how to fetch a distinct release can be found here.
|Help page||Short description||Installation type||Installation method||Document status||Language|
|Installation/Using Composer with MediaWiki 1.25+||This pages describes the installation using native Composer support for MediaWiki 1.25+||new||Composer||valid||en|
|Installation (fr)/Utilisation de Composer avec MediaWiki 1.25+||Cette page décrit l'installation faite en utilisant le support natif de Composer pour MediaWiki 1.25+||new||Composer||valid||fr|
|Installation (fr)/Utilisation de Composer avec MediaWiki 1.22 - 1.24||Cette page décrit l'installation faite en utilisant le support natif de Composer pour MediaWiki 1.22 - 1.24||new||Composer||valid||fr|
|Installation/Using Composer with MediaWiki 1.22 - 1.24||This pages describes the installation using native Composer support for MediaWiki 1.22 - 1.24||new||Composer||valid||en|
|Installation/Using Tarball (without shell access)||This page describes how to install SMW where no shell access is available by using a Tarball source.||new||Tarball download||valid|
|Installation/Upgrade from SMW 1.9+ for MW 1.19 - 1.21||Upgrading from SMW 1.9.x or 2.0 (MW 1.19+ / non-native Composer support).||upgrade||Composer||valid|
|Installation/Upgrade from SMW 1.9+ for MW 1.22+||This page describes the upgrade procedure from SMW 1.9+ (MW 1.22+ / native Composer support).||upgrade||Composer||valid|
|Installation/Upgrade from ≤ SMW 1.7.x||This pages describes the upgrade proposal for ≤ SMW 1.7.x.||upgrade||N/A||valid|
|Installation/Upgrade from SMW 1.8.x||This pages describes the upgrade procedure for SMW 1.8.x.||upgrade||N/A||valid|
|Installation/Using Composer with MediaWiki 1.19 - 1.21||This pages describes the installation using non-native Composer support for MediaWiki 1.19.x to 1.21.x.||new||Composer||obsolete|
It is good practice that after a successful installation (together with all necessary maintenance tasks) it is tested by running automated tests in order to verify that a system works as intended but it is recommended that tests are not run on a production server.
The instruction on how to run automated tests can be found here.
If during or after the installation some unfamiliar messages occur, please have a look at the troubleshooting page otherwise don't hesitate to reach out via Help:Getting support or create an inquiry using the issue tracker.
Help:Installation en 2.0