SMW 2.4 introduced the Has property description12 property as declarative method to describe a property in a localized context to help users understand the concept, limitation, and intention of that property and its assigned values.
Sometimes the concept of a property can not always be inferred from its canonical name and while a property label or key maybe semantically linked to the instance it represents (e.g. "Capital of" to identify the capital of a country), it can also just be an arbitrary collection of strings (e.g. P020).
Independent of the method on how to label a property, it is recommended that its usage is clarified to the audience by describing its nature or meaning and hereby reduces inadequate application or inconsistent interpretations.
- Localization and multilingual content
- Preferred property label
- Property naming
- Help:Properties and types
- Special property Has property description
- Example can be found at sandbox:Occupation and sandbox:P106
- Semantic MediaWiki: GitHub pull request #1381
- skos:scopeNote described as "...supplies some, possibly partial, information about the intended meaning of a concept, especially as an indication of how the use of a concept is limited...", Retrieved from: https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secdocumentation