Help:Preferred property label
Semantic MediaWiki 2.5.0Released on 14 March 2017 and compatible with MW 1.23.0 - 1.29.x. introduced the special property "Has preferred property label"Adds localizable labels to a property1 as a method to localize the output characteristics of a property when displayed in a user language which may be different to the wiki's content language.
Semantic MediaWiki uses the same definition as
skos:prefLabel2 3 where a preferred label in a given language is only expected to be declared once for a concept or property instance.
The objective is to support non-native speakers and make them aware of the semantics behind a property (which can be further strengthened by adding localized property descriptions) and therefore allows the audience to distinguish its usage and application.
A small p on the right side of the property label indicates to a user that the system is using a preferred instead of the canonical label.
While the use of the
DISPLAYTITLE variable may achieve a similar alteration of an output characteristic, the preferred label however is contextualized in regards to the user language and changes its appearance with a matchable label in a selected user language.
- Help page on special property "Has preferred property label"Adds localizable labels to a property
- Help page on localization and multilingual content
- Help page on property descriptions
- Help page on property naming
- Help page on properties and types
- Examples can be found at sandbox:Occupation and sandbox:P106
- ^ Semantic MediaWiki: GitHub issue gh:smw:1865
- ^ skos:prefLabel is described as "preferred lexical label for a resource, in a given language" and skos-primer notes further that "... it is recommended that no two concepts in the same KOS be given the same preferred lexical label for any given language tag ...", Retrieved from: https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secpref
- ^ At the time of this writing, skos:altLabel or alternative labels (different labels for the same language) are not supported.