Preferred property label
SMW 2.5 introduced the Has preferred property label 1 property as a method to localize the output characteristics of a property when displayed in a user language which may be different to the wikis' content language.
The objective is to support non-native speakers and make them aware of the semantics behind a property (which can be further strengthened by adding localized property descriptions) and therefore allows the audience to distinguish its usage and application.
A small p on the right side of the property label indicates to a user that the systems displays a preferred instead of the canonical label the entity is stored or annotated in.
While the use of the DISPLAYTITLE may achieve a similar alteration of an output characteristic, the preferred label is contextualized in regards to the user language which changes its appearance with a matchable preference in a selected language.
- Localization and multilingual content
- Property description
- Special property Has preferred property label
- Example can be found at sandbox:Occupation and sandbox:P106
- skos:prefLabel is described as "preferred lexical label for a resource, in a given language" and skos-primer notes further that "... it is recommended that no two concepts in the same KOS be given the same preferred lexical label for any given language tag ...", Retrieved from: https://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secpref
- At the time of this writing, skos:altLabel or alternative labels (different labels for the same language) are not supported.