SMWCon Spring 2014/Second call
Semantic MediaWiki Conference (SMWCon) Spring 2014: 2nd call for contributions
Dear semantic wiki users and developers,
Save the dates! SMWCon Spring 2014 will be held at Concordia University this year in the vibrant and culturally-fascinating city of Montréal, from May 21-23. We are inviting you to submit your contributions to assemble the conference program. Registration is now open, with early bird rates applicable until April 30th.
This twice-yearly conference brings together researchers, users, developers and enthusiasts of Semantic MediaWiki and related projects, such as Wikidata. Semantic MediaWiki is a family of extensions to the open-source wiki software MediaWiki (best known for powering Wikipedia) that allow a wiki to store structured data in addition to textual content, thereby, turning a wiki into a flexible, collaborative knowledge repository.
Keynote Speaker and Invited Talks
Markus Krötzsch is our keynote speaker, with the provocative talk "Wikidata and what it means for SMW."
We will have additional invited talks discussing advanced uses of Semantic Forms, aspects of semantic wikis in healthcare and science settings, as well as using SMW for Open Data.
Call for Contributions
Attendees, talks and tutorials are shaping up. Tutorials have been proposed around setting up and supporting semantic wikis, bootstrapping wikis with structures, ontologies and vocabularies, and using natural language processing (NLP) systems with wikis.
As we are putting together themes and speakers of the upcoming conference, we welcome new contributions from you on the applications and development of semantic wikis (for a list of topics, see below). You can propose your contributions on the conference website in form of regular talks, posters or super-short lightning talks. All submitted proposals will be reviewed and we will do our best to consider your proposal in the conference program. If you've already announced your talk it's now time to expand its description.
More tutorials (particularly around Semantic Mediawiki basics) and talks are very welcome to cover the breadth of Semantic MediaWiki applications and users. Please aim to submit your talk or tutorial proposal by May 7, to allow us preparing a first version of the conference program. If you need help setting up either, please contact the program chair at vid at zooid.org
Please note that all tutorials and presentations will be video and audio recorded and made available for others after the conference.
- Submission Deadline: May 7 (please contact the program chair if you need to submit later)
- Event Dates: May 21st to 23rd 2014 (Wednesday to Friday)
- Location: Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
- Conference wiki page: http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Spring_2014
- Conference poster: https://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/images/6/67/Smwcon_spring2014_poster.pdf
- Participants: Everybody interested in semantic wikis, especially in Semantic MediaWiki, e.g. users, developers, consultants, business representatives and researchers.
List of Topics
Here are some suggested starting points:
- Applications in science
- Applications in business
- Other applications such as culture and personal wikis
- Open data and government-supported repositories
Concepts and development
- Evolving semantic wikis into Linked Data platforms
- Text Mining and Natural Language Processing for Semantic Wikis
- Interoperability and mashups
- Community building, feature wishlists and Semantic MediaWiki's roadmap
- Improving user experience
- Helping new and experienced users contribute
- Modelling complex domains
- Access control and security aspects
- Multi-lingual and cross-lingual sites
- René Witte [General Chair]
- David Mason [Program Chair]
- Bahar Sateli [Local Chair]
- Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
- Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
Registration is now open at  with early bird pricing until April 30 for SMWCon May 21 - 23 in Montreal .
We hope to see you at SMWCon in Montreal!