Help talk:Installation 1.7.0
Talk pages on this wiki should primarily be used to address possible mistakes as well as missing and superseded information in the documentation.
- 1 Setting $smwgNamespaceIndex
- 2 Cannot instantiate abstract class SMWLanguage
- 3 Installation instructions are wrong
- 4 MediaWiki 1.17 + SMW blank pages issue
- 5 Uninstall
- 6 Extremely counterproductive that this page is protected
- 7 should be three - other errors
- 8 screenshots
- 9 Declaration of SMWQueryPage
- 10 Requirements - MW 1.16?
Some Clarification would be helpfull here. If for example the namespaces 100 and 101 are already used, how should one work with $smwgNamespaceIndex to make Sematic Mediawiki still work? Heinrich krebs 18:21, 2 August 2011 (CEST)
Cannot instantiate abstract class SMWLanguage
This Fatal error happens if two lines is inserting into the file "[wikipath]/LocalSettings.php" before $wgLanguageCode = "ru"; in it. I'm newby here, so don't know proper order to edit "Help page". --Zergboy 12:20, 22 April 2011 (CEST)
Registered an ID so I could edit this page - but alas I can't (by default). I wanted to add a link inside the section on custom namespaces to the Configuration page so that installers will see that you need to set $smwgNamespaceIndex to the "smallest even namespace number that is not in use yet." Calmo 14:34, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
Just a note: version 1.5.0 does not require all the extra stuff to get working in Postgres. Also, for anoyone experiencing problems with the page going blank after installing this extension, you probably need to increase PHP's allowed memory size. By default in your LocalSettings.php file in your wikimedia directory, theres a line that looks like this:
# If PHP's memory limit is very low, some operations may fail. ini_set( 'memory_limit', '20M' );
But 20M is not enough for this extension (for me at least), so I had to increase it to 40, and now it works. --Nbv4 16:27, 17 April 2010 (UTC)
Here's more info: On MediaWiki  I set mine to 32M - worked like a charm!
Installation instructions are wrong
The include statement on this page for the LocalSettings.php is wrong, and should be:
The above worked for me when the line in the article did not. Perhaps this should be changed?
- Hi, the include statement documented is the new one introduced with SMW 1.5.1. Most probably you replaced the old files just by moving in the new ones. To avoid problems like that you have to delete the old ones prior to moving in the new ones in order to make sure that there is not interplay with the new and the old version. Cheers --kgh 11:06, 25 August 2010 (UTC)
MediaWiki 1.17 + SMW blank pages issue
I traced this to the
line in both SMW bundle (SemanticBundleSettings.php) and SMW install instructions for localsettings.php.
$wgServerName has been deprecated (or possibly removed completely) in version 1.17 of Mediawiki and this needs to be removed from instructions and server name hard coded instead.
It is said that SMW adds some tables and annotations, but what are the exact names? I have uninstalled SMW and I want to get rid of the traces too. Any pointers are very appreciated. Thanks + cheers, --Till Kraemer 21:34, 16 August 2011 (CEST)
- Hi Till Kraemer, in total SMW adds eleven tables. They all start with swm_ In case you are using a table prefix in your installation this prefix would of course precede this. Cheers --[[kgh]] 21:45, 16 August 2011 (CEST)
- Hi Kghbln... Makes sense! :) Thanks for your help! Cheers, --Till Kraemer 11:30, 27 August 2011 (CEST)
Extremely counterproductive that this page is protected
It is not very smart that this page is protected, new editors like me, who has been editing wikis for 7 years and has over 160,000 edits would like to contribute here immediately.
- change it so that people who confirm their email can edit this page?
- use the confirmed edit extension like mediawiki uses? Where the edits will not go live until an admin reviews them?
- CAPTCHAs for new editors?
It is backwards and not helpful to this wiki that you have to email someone and wait for them respond to have the privilege of editing here. The occasional vandal and misinformation pales in comparison to all the beneficial edits you are missing by locking this page.
I have no doubt nothing will change here, everytime i bring up the barriers to wiking on wikis it never changes. that is your loss. Bigbull 02:02, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
- Hi Bigbull, as you already imagined this behaviour was put in place mostly to prevent spamming. However, you have a point an this should be discussed a the SMWCon Fall 2011 which will be held this month (ad 1 and 2). Apart from that I thought this is already happening like this. I will have this changed. (ad 3). Cheers --[[kgh]] 12:00, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
should be three - other errors
RE: Insert the following two lines into the file "[wikipath]/LocalSettings.php"
It appears like this is three lines, not two. Bigbull 02:07, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
- You a right. This changed with version 1.6.0 and it was forgotten to update this. Done --[[kgh]] 12:10, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
RE: include_once( "$IP/extensions/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki.php" );
I downloaded version 1.16 from the mediawiki site. There is no SemanticMediaWiki.php in the SemanticMediaWiki folder, in fact there is no SemanticMediaWiki.php in the entire download. causing my wiki pages not to load. I was surprised because I have never seen this error before. I downloaded a version at source forge, and it had the required files. Bigbull 02:18, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
- The reason is that the extension distributors produces random snapshots which are not congruent with the releases of this extensions. Thus it is always a bad idea to not use the package provided at sourceforge. I will add a not at mediawiki.org to clarify this. Cheers and one again thank you for you input --[[kgh]] 12:10, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
parking them here since i can edit the main page. How about having new users do CAPTCHAs?
Bigbull 03:10, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
- Inserting pictures is a good idea and the Russian community has already done so. Why not adding them now ... However I do not think it is useful to use screenshots of wikis with highly individualised skins. Thus these screenshots will have to be changed. I will do this for you. Cheers --[[kgh]] 12:05, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
- I inserted the sceenshots about SMW's data repair at Help:Repairing SMW's data since they belong there. Cheers --[[kgh]] 13:30, 4 September 2011 (CEST)
Declaration of SMWQueryPage
Successful installed SMW extension for my wiki, following error message show on top of SpecialPages:
Declaration of SMWQueryPage::doQuery() should be compatible with that of QueryPage::doQuery() in
C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-18.104.22.168\www\intranet\extensions\SemanticMediaWiki\specials\QueryPages\SMW_QueryPage.php on line 121
Anyone know how to fix it? Please help... thank you. --Eve 06:03, 11 November 2011 (CET)
- A better forum for help is to sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This website is more about documentation and accumulation of information from the mailing list. Further you want to give some information about your installation (version etc.) SMW, PHP and database your are using, so people are able to categorize problems and error messages. --MWJames 07:03, 11 November 2011 (CET)
Requirements - MW 1.16?
Hi, I upgraded from SMW 1.5 to SMW 1.7 a few days ago and after that #ask-queries didn't work anymore but the Special:Abfragenersteller page still worked. Furthermore SMW output a string at the end of the HTML-Header which showed up in the upper left corner of the page: "CSSskins/SMW_custom.cssJSskins/SMW_tooltip.js". After upgrading MW from 1.16 to 1.18 everything worked normally. Is the requirement of SMW 1.7 really MW 1.16 or should it be updated to meet the actual requirements? -- Chris, Jan 12 2012
- Basically, it is meant to work with MW 1.16 too. However, MW 1.17. or better MW 1.18. is recommended. I will add an info and also point a developer to this issue. In case it is a bug it most probably will not be fixed, since MW 1.16. is not longer supported by MediaWiki. Thank you for dropping a note. Cheers --[[kgh]] 01:43, 13 January 2012 (CET)
- It's supposed to work w/ 1.16. Since SMW will be dropping support for 1.16 in the next big release, I'm not inclinded to go fix this, since there are other issues that will remain relevant. --Jeroen De Dauw 14:44, 13 January 2012 (CET)